More than 90,000 students come to study in Canada every year and even more come to Canada to learn English or French. Foreign students bring a rich culture to our classrooms. Your knowledge and skills are welcome in our schools.
In Canada, the provinces and territories have jurisdiction over education.
To study in Canada, you may need a study permit, and/or a temporary resident visa
Before you can apply for a study permit, you must have been accepted at a recognized school, university or college in Canada.
To be eligible to study in Canada
• You must have been accepted by a school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada.
• You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your:
o tuition fees
o living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and
o Return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.
• You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate.
• You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
• You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.
Benefits of Having a Study Permit
You should apply for a Study Permit before you come to Canada if you think you may wish to continue your studies in another program after you complete the short-term course or program. If you do not have a valid Study Permit and wish to continue your studies, you will have to leave Canada in order to apply for one.